One of those activities, I am sharing today, featuring our free watermelon cutting strips! You can download these at the end of this post!
Why do we use these?
- Practice for writing later. Huh? How? Well, like many practical life and fine motor activities, using scissors strengthens important muscles in children’s hands. When we use scissors, we are training muscles in our thumbs, index fingers, and middle fingers.
- Concentration and focus: Aside from strengthening muscles, we are also training these fingers to work together. This requires a great deal of concentration, practice, and patience for children. These are very important qualities that we try to teach our son!
- Improves grasp for tasks such as tooth brushing, painting, writing.
- Fine motor skills development
- Preparation for school
- Encourages independence and confidence
- It’s fun! If your kiddo is using scissors, this opens up a whole new world of craft projects! And that’s just fun!
The tray after completing the work – neatly put back onto the shelf.
You could also ask your child to place the paper into a recycling container!
For us, I keep the papers and create an extension for it. Y can then create a craft using glue!
After gluing the pieces onto the paper, we love to display Y’s artwork!
By this point, Y can really cut papers and glue quite well. I still provide these types of works for a few reasons. Aside from Y enjoying them very much, I love the concentration and creativity they encourage.
Additionally, these are really important skills for kids to learn that I fear may at times be overlooked as we focus on other ‘bigger’ skills like reading, writing, and academics. Gluing and cutting is not only so much fun, but also really important for children’s development, too!
More like this
You may like
Fruits and vegetables printables
Fruits and vegetables cutting strips
Letter F is for Fruit
Don’t miss out!
Today, I am linking up at: A little bird told me, Preschool and kindergarten community, Tot school Gathering Place, The Thoughtful Spot, Love to Learn Linky, The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions, Link and Learn, TGIF, Hip Homeschool Moms, Practical Mondays