We love using materials like this to practice writing skills, letter recognition, and more! Sandpaper letters are a classic Montessori material, and making your own can of course, save some money.
You can use the instructions and printable (available below) to make both upper and lower case letters!
DIY Sandpaper Letters Tutorial
- Plywood – 52 blocks
- Letters printable
- Heavy duty glue (or a hot glue gun)
- Get your plywood down to size. You can either purchase your own pre-cut pieces or saw them yourself. 12.5 by 15 centimeters and 1/2 a centimeter thick is what we prefer.
- Sand the edges of the wood to avoid splinters (important!)
- Print the letters printable (available below) on normal paper
- Cut out the letters
- Trace the cut out letters onto the sandpaper. To avoid marks on visible side of the sandpaper, I placed the letters backwards on the reverse side of the sandpaper.
- Cut out the sandpaper numbers
- Glue them in the middle of the plywood blocks
- Let dry
You may like
Don’t miss out!
Today, I am linking up at: A little bird told me, Preschool and kindergarten community, Tot school Gathering Place, The Thoughtful Spot, Love to Learn Linky, The Mommy Club Resources and Solutions, Link and Learn, TGIF, Hip Homeschool Moms, Practical Mondays