Children are so interested in nature and learning about different animals. I created a simple printable material to help encourage this passion that my students have for learning about animals. Spring is always a wonderful time to learn about birds, but I know that talk about migration and winter is approaching!
Montessori Feathers 3 Part Cards
Age: You can use these cards for children approximately between the ages of 3-6. Younger children can use the image and control cards for a matching work (2 part cards). Older children that are starting to read can use these as traditional 3 part cards.
Related: You’ll also love our Montessori Bird Life Cycle Printables
Why use 3 part cards?
Using 2 and 3 part cards is great for helping children to understand and master information. For this particular work, the children will get an introduction to different types of feathers.
First, I always present Montessori 3 part cards on a custom tray. Instead, you can use a normal tray and different bowls/plates to contain the cards. The idea is that they should remain separate and should not move around on the tray.
This organized presentation helps children to easily identify how to use the work. This also makes it easy for children to recognize where each item goes when they are cleaning up (an important step to completing any work).
Use the image cards in combination with a Montessori 3 part lesson to teach new vocabulary to kids. Here is how I present new vocabulary:
- Take the tray and place it on your mat on the ground (or table, or wherever you work).
- Lay out the image cards in front of you. Leave enough space for control cards to the right of each image card, and labels underneath each image card.
- Next, match the label cards to the image cards. Place them underneath each image card.
- Check your work by adding the control cards to the right of each image card.
- Gather the materials, and put them back on the tray.
- Bring the tray back to its spot on the shelving unit.
Now it’s your child’s turn!
Get your set
- 10 image cards
- 10 labels
- 10 control cards